SIT20416 Certificate II Kitchen Operations
At Ranges TEC you can complete a certificate II trade course together with the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL).
Ranges TEC is a school for students in Years 10, 11 and 12 with purpose built trade training facilities. Ranges TEC offers a unique learning experience in a supportive Christian environment.
Employment & Career Opportunities
The Certificate II program is designed to introduce students to a variety of career pathways such as traineeships and apprenticeships in the hospitality industry, e.g. chef, waiter etc. Students also wishing to pursue a career in hotel and resort management or tourism would benefit from completing the certificate.
The training program incorporates the employability skills: communication, teamwork, initiative and enterprise, problem solving, technology, learning, planning and organising. It has a focus on providing hands-on training for gaining and applying practical skills, specifically with employment in mind. You will develop skills whilst learning in our fully equipped commercial kitchen.
Pathways to TAFE
Certificate or Diploma in Hospitality
- Certificate or Diploma in Tourism
Some TAFE courses have articulation arrangements into hospitality & business degree courses.
First year units:
- SITXWHS001 Participate in safe work practices
- SITXFA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- SITHKOP001 Clean kitchen premise and equipment
- SITXINV002 Maintain the quality of perishable items
- SITHCCC005 Produce dishes using basic methods of cookery
- SITHCCC001 Use food preparation equipment
- SITHCCC002 Prepare and present simple dishes
- TLIE1005 Carry out basic workplace calculations
Second year units:
- SITHCCC007 Produce stocks, sauces and soups
- SITHCCC012 Prepare poultry dishes
- SITHCCC011 Use cookery skills effectively
- SITHCCC006 Produce appetisers and salads
- SITHCCC008 Produce vegetable, fruit, egg, and farinaceous dishes
**Students are also required to participate in Restaurant nights at Ranges TEC.
Assessment may involve a combination of demonstration of practical tasks, assignments, and quizzes.