Complete a Certificate II pre-apprenticeship course in Horticulture/Rural Operations. This program offers a range of further training pathways including, but not limited to, Certificate III in Agriculture, Certificate III in Horticulture, Certificate III in Landscaping.
Students undertaking this program will spend at least one day per week working on projects at the Ranges TEC Community Farm located in Monbulk.
Horticultural tradespersons maintain plants and planted areas, construct horticultural features, and apply treatments to improve plant growth and control pests.
Horticultural trades persons may perform the following tasks:
- Identify and correct soil deficiencies
- Identify and treat pests and diseases affecting plants
- Prepare fields, garden beds or lawn areas by cultivating soil and adding fertilisers and compost
- Use growth regulators and other chemicals
- Read landscape plans and construct rockeries, paths or ponds
- Plant and transplant flowers, shrubs, trees and lawns
- Maintain gardens by fertilising, trimming and making sure that plants are receiving adequate water
- Prune trees and hedges to promote the health and positive appearance of plants
- Thin out, hoe, irrigate and fertilise crops
- Maintain lawn and grass areas using machinery, fertilisers and chemicals
- Service equipment such as tools, lawn mowers and heavy machinery
- Operate and install irrigation and drainage systems
- Plan and supervise the daily activities of other workers
- Develop long-term plans, set budgets and manage the financial aspects of the organisation or business
- Enjoy practical and mechanical activities
- Be able to undertake manual and heavy work
- B able to work safely with chemicals and machinery
- Be able to work for long hours
- Enjoy working outdoors (in all sorts of weather conditions)
Download Course Outline
Arboriculture WorkerAn arboriculture worker cares for and maintains trees in urban environments. The work may include tree climbing using ropes and a harness, or operating from elevated platforms. Senior workers, sometimes called tree surgeons, provide specialist advice on tree evaluation, assessment and treatment.
FloriculturistA floriculturist produces fresh and dried flowers and foliage for wholesale, flower markets, florists and retail outlets, and increasingly for overseas export. Some flower farms also grow flowers in open fields for their essential oils.
GreenkeeperA greenkeeper also known as groundsperson or turf keeper, prepares, establishes and manages fine turf, grassed areas and synthetic surfaces used for sport. Greenkeepers may also do domestic and commercial mowing and lawn maintenance operations, and work on commercial turf farms.
GardenerA gardener plants and cares for trees, lawns, shrubs and flower beds in areas around public and private institutions, city squares, parks and gardens, playing fields, golf courses and bowling greens, as well as private homes.
Landscape GardenerA landscape gardener designs and constructs garden landscapes or renovates existing gardens. They work in a variety of sites, including public and private parks and gardens, to create a landscape that is aesthetically pleasing as well as functional.
Nursery WorkerA nursery worker grows and sells plants. They can work in either retail or wholesale nurseries, and may specialise in areas such as native plants, advanced trees or flowers. Horticultural tradespersons usually work outdoors and in all kinds of weather. Some of the work is physically demanding as it involves bending and lifting, and the use of machinery such as tractors, rollers and edging machines. Protective clothing must be used when handling fertilisers and pesticides, and to prevent injury while using machinery.
“Ranges TEC has helped me a lot, growing my skills and passion for woodwork. If I went to another school I would be learning basic skills and tools, but here I get to learn from a professional who is passionate about both their trade and seeing the best in me.”
— Next Steps
I’m interested in…
Learning more about our programs, facilities, and the incredible opportunities that await you at Ranges TEC. Whether you are a student, parent, or educator, we are here to answer any questions and guide you on this exciting educational journey.